I realize in this day and age that the pressures of being in a relationship can sometimes feel overwhelming. Sometimes we might feel like we're on a biological clock. We're expected to go to college after high school, get our degree, get established in our careers and then marry our prince charming. Or maybe that's how you envisioned it, because those are the expectations that society has placed on us. Can I tell you something? Whatever your story, whatever your situation or whatever your circumstance, your singleness does not surprise God. Maybe you've been called to a season of singleness, or maybe you've been called to a lifetime of singleness. Whatever your situation, your singleness is a gift. That's right, a gift. Your singleness is a gift from God because during this time, He has granted you the pleasure of enjoying the things that only single women can enjoy. When was the last time you had to ask your husband if you can go on an sporadic trip to the spot of your dream vacation? Better yet when was the last time you had to ask your husband if he can give you the funds to go on your trip? Last time I checked, as a single woman, you didn't have to! 1 Corinthians 7:32-35 speaks on more ways on how your singleness is a gift from God.
"In the same way, a woman who is no longer married or has never been married can be DEVOTED to the Lord and holy in body and spirit. But a married woman has to think about her earthly responsibilities and how to please her husband. I am saying this for your benefit, NOT TO PLACE RESTRICTIONS ON YOU. I WANT YOU TO DO WHATEVER WILL HELP YOU SERVE THE LORD BEST WITH AS FEW DISTRACTIONS AS POSSIBLE." - 1 Corinthians 7:32-35
Glory to God! If that isn't a gift I don't know what is! As a SINGLE CHRISTIAN WOMAN this verse tells us a few things about our singleness:
- Your singleness gives you a chance to be devoted to the Lord! First of all, if you aren't even devoted to the Lord, how can you be devoted to your husband? In order to be devoted to your husband and your relationship, you need to be devoted to God FIRST!
- As a single Christian woman, you don't have the worries or the responsibilities that come with pleasing your husband!
- You're singleness is not to place restrictions on you!
- God wants you to serve Him without distractions! If being in a relationship will distract you from serving Him wholeheartedly, then that can become an issue!
For the single Christian woman who has been called to a season of singleness, listen closely...
- You aren't single because God forgot about you and you definitely aren't single because God is punishing you. God will give you the desires of your heart if you take delight in Him FIRST! (Psalm 37:4) Maybe you're asking, what does that even mean? Let's break it down. To take delight in something means to take great pleasure in something or in this case, to take delight in God! Take great pleasure in God! Serve Him wholeheartedly! Let Him fill the empty crevices in your heart and you will see that the desires of your heart will be met. It doesn't necessarily mean that if you take delight in Him you will no longer be single, but if you learn how to delight yourself in Him, your desires will align with His desires as He begins to fill your heart!
- Remember that God is taking His time with you because you are too precious for Him to hand you over to just anyone. Do you really want God to hand you over to just anyone? If only you can see how precious you are in God's eyes. So be patient because He isn't finished with you just yet! He knit you together and you are precious! (Psalm 139:13)
- Maybe you're single, yet you find yourself keeping guys on the side to talk to or hang out with on those lonely nights. How can you receive the man of God, God has for you, when you have yet to empty your hands and when you have yet to let go of men that God has clearly said is not the guy for you! You will never receive what God has for you if you're hands are still full, so stop "flirting" with the idea of being in a relationship, guard you heart and let God be your focus! No matter how hard being single gets, remember not to awaken love before the time is right. (Song of Solomon 8:4)
Lastly, I'd like to leave you with this. Remember that you are precious in God's eyes and worth the wait.